- The Advocate Rabbit Hole's John Cameron Mitchell (He never ages. 47!)
- A.V. Club interviews Aaron Eckhart, also of Rabbit Hole. And in case you missed it...
- The Film Experience ...that's my 11th favorite of the year
- The Telegraph Bond is not a director's franchise, Tim Robey, reminds us as Sam Mendes preps Bond 23 (to be titled later obviously)
- In Contention DGA's documentary nominees. YES on Lixin Fan for Last Train Home. The Academy really botched that one. It's one of the best films of the year.
- Rotten Tomatoes gives out its Golden Tomatoes for the best reviewed movies of 2010. Naturally the animated films dominate as they're generally critic proof if they're any good at all. Though we're slightly weirded out that the best reviewed ten is very very close to the expected Oscar ten. What happened to the days when Oscar ignored critical darlings? My guess is both Oscar and Critics have changed, everyone moving to the center.
- Serious Film Great use of pop songs in recent movies
If it interests you, Reel Talk has the complete NAACP nominees. Night Catches Us gets some nominations but no Best Picture bid? Just Wright is there, though with For Colored Girls, The Book of Eli, Tyler Perry's Why Did I Get Married Too and... The Kids Are All Right (???). Confusing. So for what it's worth, here are the actress nominations. You know how I obsess on the actressing.
- Halle Berry Frankie & Alice
- Janet Jackson Tyler Perry's Why Did I Get Married Too?
- Queen Latifah Just Wright
- Zoe Saldana The Losers
- Kerry Washington Night Catches Us
Best Supporting Actress
- Kimberly Elise For Colored Girls
- Whoopi Goldberg For Colored Girls
- Phylicia Rashad For Colored Girls
- Anika Noni Rose For Colored Girls
- Jill Scott Tyler Perry's Why Did I Get Married Too?
The message of the nominations is simple: join Tyler Perry's creative entourage. (I wish I'd seen For Colored Girls. I like almost everyone in it.)